Thursday, January 08, 2004

Wishing for snow

The kids want it to snow. I guess if I am honest, Jen and I both want it to snow. Living in Georgia, Arkansas and Florida, I haven't seen just a huge amount of snow in my life. We are planning a trip to Colorado Springs next week. We all want to see lots of snow! Here is an interesting comment on snow.

The Whiteness of Snow
Molly Kelly

It has been snowing all day, and it’s supposed to go at least until tomorrow…

When I was a kid, I loved snow. Snow meant a day off from school; a day to go out and play. As an adult, I had to travel a lot for my job, and I liked it less. Snow meant plans had to be canceled or changed, and if they couldn’t be, it often meant treacherous driving. Snow also made me sad. My husband, Jim, died in a sledding accident, and for years afterward, I thought of his death whenever I saw snow.

Now that I am in the twilight of my life, however, I find that I once again appreciate snow. Seeing trees, bushes, roads, and roofs all covered in white makes me think of what our souls must look like after confession, when God’s grace has washed away the grime of our sins and left them unstained and pure. It also makes me think of heaven, and how pristine and beautiful life will be there…


No comments: