Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Why do I watch this stuff?

It seems that American Idol mania is sweeping the country again, and I have to admit that I have watched, sometimes with great enjoyment, Simon completely destroy some contestants. But my real feeling is this: Are these people for real? Do they really think that they have a chance or are they actors? I'm too cynical to believe it when some of the worst singers in the world get their feelings all hurt when they verbally rip them up. I mean they have to know don't they? When they say, "That's just your opinion!" to Simon, you can't tell me that they really think that what they did was good!

That's the madness of the whole thing. I get pulled into judging these people as being winners or losers. It makes me into a scary person. Why do I love seeing people, what seems to me, making complete idiots of themselves? It's enjoyable to watch that dude sing so terribly and then act like he was great and then act devastated when the judges say he isn't! Why?

Have you ever been in a church service when a singer comes up and delivers what is the worst attempt at singing you have ever heard? What do you do? I always try to sing along and smile alot and try to be supportive. In my heart though, I feel a 'Simon' coming on. I know that people don't sing for the applause of men, but have you ever wondered what it would be like if a worship service was more like American Idol with Simon Cowell as the pastor? Just a thought.

No comments: