Thursday, January 22, 2004

Empty

The other day I was walking around Iron Mountain and saw where they had cut down some trees. What I saw caught my attention, for what reason I do not know. I saw this tree that was just cut down laying right by it's stump and both were hollow. I looked at the tree on the ground and at the other trees in the area and a thought ran through my head. This tree looked great until it was cut down.

Healthy Tree Hollow Tree Hollow Tree Stump

It was only after the tree was cut down that you could see it was rotting from the inside. A friend told me that sometimes when trees get a disease they will slowly die from the center of their trunk out. The tree was decaying inside, but the casual observer couldn't see any evidence of it from the outside.

I wonder how true a metaphor this dying tree is for our own lives. Here are some thoughts I had about this image: Many times we hide the corruption that lurks at our own center, because outwardly our roots go deep and our branches stretch high. I was also struck by the ease one could hide a hollow soul. What things start the 'hollowing out' process in my life? What do you think of this image? Does it make any ideas come into your mind?

Remember what David says comparing the godly to trees in Psalm 1?

Instead you thrill to GOD'S Word,
you chew on Scripture day and night.
You're a tree replanted in Eden,
bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
always in blossom.

No comments: