Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Jennifer and I watched Bowling for Columbine last night. It was, to say the least, very interesting. Understanding that the filmmaker Michael Moore is about as left as you can get, and that the conclusions that he draws may not be the ones I would end up with, I felt that it was an astounding film. I still haven't taken it all in. Far from your basic feel good movie, it is a documentary that comes off as sharply sarcastic as anything I have seen.

It is a commentary on the violence that is so prevalent in our society and a necessary investigation into the teenage culture that 'led' to the Columbine murders. (I use 'led' very loosely). Anyone who is around teens alot would agree that alot of what is presented in the film is accurate insight into how they feel, yet I couldn't agree with the message that Moore is so loudly preaching in this movie.

Yet it brings me back to a struggle of sorts with the words of Jesus. I'm sure that "peacemakers" are referencing people rather than guns. And I am also sure that "fear" is not a great place to live. Yet is Hollywood to blame? Is the Government to blame? Is war to blame? Is the American way of life to blame? Moore wants to lay the blame somewhere as many of us do. But maybe you just can't. If you can stand to watch a two hour documentary that is at times disturbing and sarcastically vicious, you should watch it and tell me what you think.

No comments: