Tuesday, January 13, 2004

God Chose Me

Think about this great story from the gospel of John, chapter 1, beginning in verse 43.

The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Phillip and said to him, “Come, be my disciple.” Phillip was from Bethsaida, Andrew and Peter’s hometown.
Phillip went off to look for Nathanael and told him, “We have found the very person Moses and the prophets wrote about! His name is Jesus, the son of Joseph from Nazareth.”
“Nazareth!” exclaimed Nathanael. “Can anything good come from there?”
“Just come and see for yourself,” Phillip said.
As they approached, Jesus said, “Here comes and honest man- a true son of Israel.”
“How do you know about me?” Nathanael asked.
And Jesus replied, “I could see you under the fig tree before Phillip found you.”
Nathanael replied, “Teacher, you are the son of God – the King of Israel!”
Jesus asked him, “Do you believe all this just because I told you I has seen you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this.” Then he said, “The truth is you will all see heaven open and the angels of God going up and down upon the Son of Man.”


Here is an awesome demonstration from the Bible about how God chooses people. Earlier in this chapter you can read about how Jesus called the fishermen, Andrew, Peter, James and John. And here you read how he chose two more disciples Phillip and Nathanael. Think about the purposeful choice of Jesus. You see to Phillip and Nathanael, and to all of us reading this story it might seem very casual, how Nathanael, came into contact with Jesus. A friend told him about Jesus, he came to see for himself. But when Jesus reveals that he was aware of him sitting under a fig tree before Phillip ever came by, Nathanael sees that Jesus had planned to pick him all along.

And this is specifically what I need to remember. When was Nathanael picked and singled out to be one of Christ’s disciples? Long before Nathanael knew about it. I am the same, Jesus chose me: long before I made the decision to follow him. Before I ever made up my mind to come and follow Christ, He was watching me just like he was watching Nathanael. He has had his eye on me from the beginning, and he chose me. I some times forget that. God chose me!

No comments: