Thursday, November 13, 2003

A 'Pricey' Gospel

130 years ago, Missionary Thomas Baker was killed and subsequently eaten by cannibals in the remote village of Nabutautau , Fiji. He joined the thousands of Christian martyrs who have over the centuries given the ultimate sacrifice for their faith. Open Doors and their youth movement The Underground continues to call our attention to those Christians who are presently being persecuted all over the world. It strikes me again this morning that sometimes it is pretty costly to follow Christ.

No, not for us who live in the age of Time-Life worship music collections and in a nation with 24 hour Christian entertainment options. No, for us there is measured ease and maybe even social advantage in being outwardly 'Christian'. I fear the possibility of there not being enough to eat after Sunday Morning Service rather than being eaten after Sunday Morning service.

Not to say that to be ultimately committed to Christ you have to give the ultimate sacrifice, but I wonder where I stand in my commitment to the gospel. How much am I willing to pay for what I believe to be true? I'd like to think that I'd give everything, but how can I test that or see evidence of that type of commitment in my easy life? Living all out for the gospel can be 'pricey' at times, I'm not sure that I have enough in my soul's checkbook to cover it.

No comments: