Monday, November 17, 2003

A Better World
Oscar Romero
sweet chestnuts
Youth: ponder how we are all called to goodness,
and how the older generation – my own, I regret –
has left you a legacy of so much selfishness
and so much evil.

You are new wheat – a newly sown crop –
You are a field still fresh from God’s hand.
Children, youth: make a better world.

~Core to everything that Jen and I do is this belief that young people can make a better world. Why not purposefully live for the children? Why not invest all you have to develop young lives? Programs and structures that we construct might last a long time if they are exceptionally strong, but young lives that are cultivated, mature and seed and grow again. I pray that God will allow me to be involved in what he is planting and watering for the future.

No comments: