Thursday, November 13, 2003

Looking after the 'Little Ones'

In Matthew 18:10 Jesus says, "Beware that you don't despise a single one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father." Jesus was most likely referring directly to the child that was standing there in front of his disciples (Matthew 18:2). Also, without taking away from the obvious meaning, many would also believe that he spoke not only of children but of those new or immature in faith: the 'child-like' believer. As I listen to the words of Jesus, my mind quickly moves to what I believe are the important questions to ask, if I intend to do as he has said.

Paul Myhill CrossWho are the 'little ones' Jesus speaks of in my world? Presently today around me, who would qualify as a 'child' or 'child-like' or 'immature'? Certainly my first thoughts go to my own children. In an all-out life-effort to look after them I will teach them to walk with God; I will love and correct them. But I also want to take care that my actions do not nullify my words with them.

But I find that it is esy to look after my own little ones. The problem comes when my time or energy is required to look after those 'little ones' that I am not directly responsible for. The poor, the underprivileged and the elderly all qualify as 'little ones' to me. And what about the rowdy immature Christian, doesn't he qualify? What about that teenager who brings nothing but strife to my peaceful world, I am sure that he qualifies. I say it again, I want to look out for the 'little ones.'

No comments: