Friday, October 24, 2003

Johnny Cash
Man in Black - Johnny Cash
Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

...I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

...I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.


~Cash. 1932-2003

What do I have in my life that calls attention to the needs of others? Do others get even 1 minute of air time in TV of my heart? Jesus was completely about others. I am, many times, completely about me. Jesus tells us to "Love God and Love Others as yourself" Is my 50% obedience making the grade? Can you really even truly love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and not love others?

No comments: