Friday, December 03, 2004

Bonds and the Juice

BondsBeing a fan of Hank Aaron, you think that maybe I would be happy that all this comes out on Bonds. (It's really nothing new, there has been talk about Bonds and steroid use for years). I've got friends, mainly Cardinal fans still upset that Bonds broke McGuire's single season homerun record, who are rejoicing now that Bonds is publicly discredited. "He's getting what he deserves" and "That just shows he wasn't for real..." are the things I am hearing.

But I don't feel that way.

I admit, when more talk about the "the clear" and "the cream" came out, I was thinking in the back of my mind, "maybe this will keep Him from breaking Hank Aaron's record", but then the sadness hit me. It's just not right, I mean for baseball and sports in general. Don't get me wrong, I love to watch Bonds play, but when the man is juiced up it almost seems like you are watching a scripted movie where the super human hero always wins in the end. It just seems to kill the realism. The part inside me that says, "That's just a normal guy like me, and check out what he is doing!" But maybe that's just part of growing up: realizing that the real heros aren't bionic sports stars, and robot rock and roll musicians, but really, your dad, your grandpa, and your uncles.

The fact for me still remains that Bonds can flat kill the ball. And you better believe that I will be watching as he hits 715, and 755 and 800. I say lets all put on our rose colored glasses and cheer for him as he cruises right past Hammerin' Hank. It is definitely going to fill the news for the next couple of years.

No comments: