Friday, September 26, 2003

Yesterday after work, I took Zeke and Job over to the soccer fields for practice. For some reason, the coach canceled our practice, so we had a few minutes to play out n the field before we had to be back for supper. It was only 25 or 30 minutes, but the three of us had the greatest time together.

I wouldn't consider myself a great soccer player at all, but from the perspective of my children, for that half-hour I was the best. They wanted me to kick the ball as high as I could, so like a football punter I would boot the ball straight up and they would get under it and try to give it a header as it came down. To watch them rush to the spot and brace for the impact was hilarious. To them it was the equivalent of allowing a moon rock to fall out of orbit onto your head.

What a rush for them. What a rush for me.

I don't know if it will always be this way, but I was really struck by the heaviness of my role in their lives. To say they look up to me or that I have influence in their life is such an understatement. Jen and I form their lives, and as their parents, our choices mean everything to them and their development.

Thank you Jesus for my mom and dad, and for Jen's mom and dad.
I'm going to be like them.

No comments: