Monday, September 22, 2003

It was really a weird weekend. We had a great time playing soccer games and hanging out in the neighborhood, but we also heard some tragic news. One of the teenage girls from our youth group in Fouke was killed in a car wreck Friday afternoon. We are, as you can imagine, shocked. We have seen so many devastating accidents lately and now to hear that someone we know and love is gone due to a car wreck really shakes us up.

Meredith Evilsizer was a cool person. I have lots of neat memories of her. I think of how she would play with my kids on Wednesday night after church, and of how people would turn and greet her whenever she would walk into the room. During the '02-'03 school year I would go down to Brightstar school in Doddridge, Arkansas and hang out with students. Meredith and her sister Anna were the only two people that I knew there when I first started going, but they were incredible in introducing me to people and in bringing people around to our little bible study/prayer time. Meredith and Anna always called me 'brother Jerod' and it would drive me crazy, but I couldn't get them to stop. Meredith would talk about her candy striper work at the hospital and about her interaction with the sisters at the convent in texarkana. My wife and I remember praying with Meredith many times and remember certain worship songs that she would always want us to sing. I always knew her to have an open heart to God.

I think the thing that upsets me the most is that I see a young life that's over. No high school graduation, no college, no marriage and no children. And what about her parents, grandmother and sister? I know that this present world is only part of the story, but it still seems sad.

No comments: