Monday, February 09, 2004

Thoughts on Gibson's Passion
There is nothing as controversial the story of Jesus. As the Ash Wednesday release date of Gibson's The Passion of the Christ draws closer, I am sure that you will see more and more headlines and commotion. Newsweek has a large section devoted to the Passion and the controversy that surrounds it. (I am beginning to wonder if the so-called controversy isn't completely media induced. I mean if you go looking for someone to voice an objection it shouldn't be too hard to find them.) Interlinc has some cool resources for those who intend to use Gibson's movie as a teaching tool. But I have to admit, I just want to watch it. Like it or not, movies and the merchandising juggernauts behind them drive our lives. Won't it be interesting to see how Gibson treats this most told story of all times? Maybe I am just a sucker, but I love just about every Bible movie ever made. Sure I know that all of them have their inconsistencies and flaws, but I just love being carried into that time and setting. I mean I think about it and study it and picture it in my head all the time, so it is exciting to watch someone else's vision of Jesus' day in full color. Where I am excited most about watching this film is that Mel Gibson, at least in all the interviews and stories I have read, seems to have a deep genuine faith. That's funny, me and Mel have something in common...We both are really passionate about our faith and love the Christ of the gospel story.

My one fear is not that the movie will be mired in controversy and that people will say that it is "anti-semitic" or that Mel Gibson will be snubbed at next years Oscars. All of those things may or may not happen and will in the end, I think, only sell more tickets. What I wonder about is our predisposition to want to take what could be great and high art that appeals to the masses and pen it up in our "Christian Ghetto". If we aren't careful our desire to show that a Christian can make a good film or the Christian retailers desire to turn a buck, can turn a movie about the most significant story of all times into an overmarketed key chain. Not that I am ready to destroy all the the Passion Teen Study Bibles and the Passion Crown of Thorns T-Shirts, I just want to see the movie. I want to watch the movie and think about the Passion of my Christ. (rant over)

Here are a few important links for you to visit.

The Passion of the Christ - Official Movie Website.

The Passion - Unofficial Fan Site with materials to go deeper.

No comments: