Wednesday, April 21, 2004

The Weapon of Prayer

During the last few weeks as news of more casualties from Iraq continues to pour across our news, I have been troubled. My personal position is one of support for the war effort to protect our freedom. I am however, upset when so many people die. I know that the simple answer is that "war is a necessary evil." and "that is the price you pay for freedom." However true those statements may be, I still get upset when I read of people dying.

I had a conversation with some friends at work this week about the war. Some were vehemently supportive of the war, and others were slightly against it. At the end of the discussion, the conclusion we came to was, that as Christians we should be praying about this war and all of its aspects. I was convicted. I read about a few dying here, a few there, and for a split second I feel sad. But it doesn't impact my life too much, and I tend to be over my concern in a matter of seconds.

All through the Scripture people's prayers have been connected with military matters. Prayer wins battles and sometimes causes them never to be fought. I began to think, "There is a world aspect to my prayers, and maybe my prayers could make a difference in the present situation in Iraq." I decided to pray for the entire Iraq conflict, all the soldiers on both sides, all the countries involved, all the religious sect, all the unseen spiritual powers. I have decided to pray for the whole deal.

Then I ran across this article by Johann Christoph Arnold. It definitely comes from an anti-war pacifist position, but he retells a story from the life of Gen. George Patton, that I wanted to share here.

As a history buff intrigued by the potential lessons of the past, I recently stumbled on an interesting story about General George S. Patton. An ardent believer, Patton noted that in times of battle, his men all prayed, but that when things quieted down, the praying stopped. This disturbed him and, in a nutshell, led him to write a “training letter” that was eventually distributed to every unit under his command. It read, in part:

Those who pray do more for the world than those who fight; and if the world goes from bad to worse, it is because there are more battles than prayers. Hands lifted up, smash more battalions then hands that strike. Urge all of your men to pray, not alone in church, but everywhere. Pray when driving. Pray when fighting. Pray alone. Pray with others. Pray by night and pray by day. Pray for our Army, and pray for peace.

We must march together, all out for God. The soldier who ‘cracks up’ does not need sympathy or comfort as much as he needs strength and prayer. We are not trying to make the best of these days. It is our job to make the most of them. Now it is not the time to follow God from ‘afar off.’ We need the assurance and the faith that God is with us. With prayer, we cannot fail.


These words were written during the Battle of the Bulge, when a sudden break in the weather handed the Allies an unexpected victory over Hitler’s forces. Patton, and many others, attributed the outcome to prayer.

No comments: