Tuesday, December 09, 2003

BCS and Pete Rose
Are there two topics that cause more arguments than the BCS and Pete Rose? I know that I don't understand the complexities of television deals and large market schools vs. small market schools, but although I cannot offer a suitable solution in my limited understanding of the variables, I can tell you that the BCS 'just ain't right!' How can a team that didn't even win their conference be a possible national champion? And if the coach's poll or whatever it is called can name it's own national champion irregardless of what happens in the top BCS game, why bother with the whole rot? I know that a playoff system would have the same problem: there will always be some teams on the bubble, but further out on the bubble wouldn't matter as much to me. If some computer has to calculate the difference between two teams who are jockeying for the last spot in an eight team championship playoff tournament, big deal...number 8 or number 9 gets the shaft. But now, 3 teams with identical records and similar strengths all need to play in one game, and someone has to be left out. Honestly, I'm sort of glad LSU jumped USC, I really think a SEC team should be in the championship game. (what else would a Razorback fan say?). But I am really disappointed that Oklahoma didn't budge after completely not showing up for the Big 12 Championship. I know that I am not the only one saying this, but however you need to work it out, I want to see all three of those teams play and lets see who's left standing. (Oh! and just to make it an even number they should throw Arkansas in there as an at large wild-card!...what can I say, I am a homer.)

Pete Rose '80And the other deal is Pete Rose. What do most people think about his reinstatement into baseball? I am sure that I am prejudiced in the fact that I like Pete Rose as a player. When I was a kid, I wanted to play first base like Pete Rose, I wanted to punch hits into the gaps in the infield like Pete Rose, and sure, I wanted to steal bases and slide like him. When I would make the last out in an inning and get to run across the infield toward my dugout, I would copy the way Rose would examine the ball and then drop it on the mound. He is a hall-of-famer and one of the games greatest players, but just me liking him doesn't mean he isn't a cad, a crook, or an out-of-control egomaniac. So while there are lots of opinions about whether Selig should let him back into baseball, I really haven't made up my mind yet. Basically I want to forgive him, I think it would be cool to honor his play in a large media expression. But I'm also still a purist who thinks that baseball has to at least make an attempt at showing that they are trying to do something about cheating. Here is a link to help Rose make it to Cooperstown.

Here are some other topics that I have found will ususally produce a lively discussion when introduced in the right company:
Vote Recounts
Rapture Timing Preferences
Paul vs. John
Versions of the Scriptures

No comments: